Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
Paul is telling the Galatians and us about his past. His whole life was devoted to the Jewish religion. What was the Jewish religion?
• They believe in the God of Abraham (as we do)
• Kept the law of Moses (613 laws)
• Offered animal sacrifices thru the priests
• Were waiting for their King to arrive so they could take their Kingdom on earth
This is what Paul had devoted his life to. The next part of the verse says “beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:” So what was this church of God that Paul as Saul was persecuting and who was part of it? Who was Saul going after? Anyone that believed Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah, the Son of God, the King that was to bring in the Kingdom. Read Acts 7 thru 8 and hear what Stephen was telling the Jewish religion leaders and members. Guess who was there? Saul! Saul was going after Peter and the other 11 apostles and anyone that believed Jesus was the Son of God.
This church of God, which Peter was left in charge of, was scattered to get away from the persecutors. It was made up of Israelites and a few believing gentiles. This has now split Israel into two categories: Believing Israel and unbelieving Israel. Saul, while persecuting, was part of unbelieving Israel. What did believing Israel believe in?
• God of Abraham
• Jesus is the Son of God (their messiah/king)
Did this believing Israel have to do anything to show that they believed? YES
• Water Baptized (Read Mark 16:16-20)
• Still obey the law of Moses
• Endure till the end (Jacobs trouble)
• Sell what they had and put it in common. (So they could get thru Jacobs trouble)
Notice this is not the same as “The Church the Body of Christ”. We believe:
• Jesus is the Son of God (Savoir)
• Died for our sins (Paid the death penalty for us)
• Was buried
• Rose again
Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
Believe ON the Lord Jesus Christ completed work and you to can be saved.